Wednesday, July 8, 2009

world of twilight

from the examiner:

Move over Twilight totes- here comes Twilight: The video game

First, there were tote bags, pins and t-shirts. Then, both a life-sized cutout of Edward and a mini, pocket sized doll were developed for the Twilight franchise.

But the latest venture spurred by the Twilight phenomenon comes, not as a money-making scheme, but a labor of love. College senior Brandon Gardner, a Game Software Development major at Westwood College online, is creating Twilight: the video game.

Brandon is not associated with Summit or any gaming company, but is designing the game under the guise of Brainjunk Studios. He serves as both Game Director and Lead Programmer for the volunteer-based project.

Before you dismiss the idea of a Twilight-themed video game, read on. Brandon’s passion is infectious; he’s dedicated to making an immersive, obsessive online-based game true to Stephenie Meyer’s vision. So true, in fact, that his plans include the involvement of Twilight, New Moon, and the unpublished fan favorite, Midnight Sun.

Video Game Brainstorm

Can you describe the game concept?
One extremely big feature that I'm going with is an open non-linear world revolved around Forks. I like the idea of letting plays explore around the world, and discover new amazing things that are not even covered in the book or the movie. One really extremely crucial feature in the game engine that was licensed for the game is unlimited world streaming, and this feature allows for the game to go in an open non-linear direction. The game will being closely based to both Twilight and Midnight Sun allowing the player to play, and experience the story from either Bella's or Edward's perspective. I'm highly thinking of including New Moon into the project as well. I really think it’s important to allow players to experience being human, vampire, or phasing into a werewolf.

Which characters will be integrated into the game?
All the characters that are present in both the movie and books will be present in the game. It's important to maintain Stephenie's vision and creativity in the game, and I just don't think it would be right to remove any characters from the game.

What systems are you designing it for- Xbox, Wii, both, or will it be more of a handheld game, ie. Nintendo DS?
I can't answer this question at this time. It really will be up to Summit Entertainment on which systems they would like the game developed for. Even though I am turning over the game free of charge to Summit I would be more than glad to work on ensuring that the game is released on different platforms, and utilizes the strengths of each particular platform.

Brandon’s Twilight Background

What was your favorite part of the movie and/or book?
My favorite part of the movie has to be where Bella tells Edwards that she knows he is a vampire. My most favorite part of the Twilight book is the part where Bella is almost crushed by the van, but is saved by Edward. That really is one of the most pivotal points in the book to me.

Who is your favorite character and why? Will that character make a more dominant showing?
My favorite character in both the movie and book is Bella. I just couldn't stop reading Twilight, and I was eager to see what direction that Stephenie was going to take the character in. I just couldn't stop reading the books, and when I finally finished one book I quickly rushed to the store to get the next book in the series. I have to say that Breaking Dawn is my most favorite book to. It's like the whole saga was like an incredible addiction that constantly needed to be satisfied while reading through all four books. I really feel that Stephenie Meyer is an incredible author.

The Lexicon recently interviewed Brandon as well, who provided this insight:

One question that I want to explore in the game is what do the Cullens do in their free time such as hobbies, collections, and other things that they do? When you don’t have to sleep at night, and you are immortal what kind of things would you do with your free time?

I'm hoping to provide a place where fans can live out their dreams about Twilight, and being able to learn more about the Twilight universe. There are so many things that are not explored in the movie or book that I think the game should be able to provide. My number one goal though is exceeding the expectations of fans everyone, and to add more depth to the great universe that Stephenie Meyer has provided for all of us.

The Lexicon also posted a poll asking readers if they would prefer that the original Twilight cast voice the video game characters or leave the voicing to unknowns. Over 5,600 have answered the poll, which is open through July 10. You can cast your vote HERE. The map below shows the percentages of answers broken down by state.

Brandon says that there is no release date set for the game to trade hands to Summit, so stay tuned for the latest updates:

Blizzard Entertainment is known for releasing polished high quality games. That is a standard that I apply to my games and onto myself. The number one people that I am accountable to are the fans of Twilight, and I will not let any of them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment